TOWARDS A CUSTOMER-CENTRIC MULTI-CHANNEL LOGISTIC
The question on the minds of consumers and corporates alike is the existence of the well known, “Retail Business”. Demand in the retail industry is influenced by new technologies, changes in society habits and the underlying effects which gradually change the structure of the economy, such as the effects of the change in CPI. All these factors combined, contribute to the change of the decision-making process a customer goes through to make a purchase.
The most relevant point of these changes is the management of multi-channel retail. Until now, retailers were considering channels as completely or partially independent, with distinctive processes, workforces and policies. It was not rare to see the same product at different retail prices or different levels of service depending on the distribution channel, leading the consumer to question the sales policy.
Now these same consumers are waiting for the same level of service with the same policy, whatever the distribution channel considered (”mortar and brick” retail stores, catalog, online …). Moreover, consumers expect retailers to encourage and support them, while providing superior shopping experiences and service by combining the benefits of the various communication channels.
keys for a successful retail policy
In order to turn the challenge of the multi-channel and live communication retail, there are key points that retailers have to focus on for the coming year and determine the related strategy and support solutions accordingly:
- Do not multiply messages by channel, be clear on your position and build a trustful and consistent relationship with the consumer;
- Do not multiply offers and retails, apply a common (or commonly defined) sales policy over all channels;
- Accept the changes and review your processes to allow instant reactivity to your competitors;
- Rethink the supply chain to authorize an advanced collaboration between distribution channels;
- Determine and follow global objectives to analyze real benefits and avoid effects of channel cannibalization.